Spotlight on Kuala Lumpur
Q. WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST ABOUT KL?
A It’s small! It has a population of around four million, which makes it one of the easiest cities in Asia to move around in. Also, the best food in the country is in KL!
Q. THE BEST WAY TO GET AROUND?
A Taxi is easiest and most reliable. Use the new apps and select companies such as MyTeksi
Q. WHAT ARE THE MUST-SEES?
A Take a 40-minute drive out of the city to a hill station called Fraser’s Hill – here you will see one of the most enchanting rain forest vistas. Most people would disagree with me however, and say China Town!
Also, for a sense of history, it’s a good idea to check out the National Museum.
Q. BEST EATING SPOTS?
1. Aunty Nat for straight Chinese cuisine, with a blend of Chinese Indian and Malay influences
2. Jalan Ah Lo, Hawker Food Row (last one on the right – Wong Ah Wah) Great for their spring chicken and anything on their specials list.
3. The Coliseum Café – one of the oldest colonial bar & restaurants in town (early 20th century).
4. Cantaloupe, a fine dining and cocktail bar with stunning views of KL
Q. ESSENTIAL DINING TIP?
A Ask your hotel or cab driver for the nearest local Indian Coffee shop for an early morning breakfast Dosai – this is a South Indian savoury breakfast that’s hard to find in the Western World.
Q. BEST-KEPT LOCAL’S SECRET?
A Possibly the best live music scene in the region is thanks to No Black Tie, a late night bar and restaurant downtown in the Changkat Bukit Ceylon area (check out their website for listings). Also, another lesser-known secret is Fiske – possibly the largest warehouse of postmodern (especially Scandinavian) and antique furniture in the region.
Q. KL’S MOST UNIQUE ATTRACTION?
A Check out the Batu Caves and ancient Hindu temple!
Q. WHERE TO STAY?
1. KL Hilton Sentral – contemporary business and family hotel (5 star)
2. Sekeping Tenggiri – a small property with fabulous design and landscaping features (3+ star)
3. The Majestic – a recently gentrified Heritage property (5 star)
4. Villa Samadhi – a boutique property, and urban sanctuary.